Prince Andrew arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office
Summary
Prince Andrew arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, released under investigation. King Charles says law must take its course.
Prince Andrew arrested on suspicion of misconduct
Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, was arrested Thursday morning on suspicion of misconduct in a public office. Thames Valley Police confirmed the arrest of a man in his 60s in Norfolk and carried out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.
The former prince was photographed leaving Aylsham Police Station after being released under investigation later that evening. This is the first time Andrew has been arrested.
Investigation focuses on leaked documents
The arrest is not related to any allegations of sexual offences. Instead, it follows a police review of allegations that Andrew shared confidential material from his time as a UK trade envoy.
Documents released by the US Department of Justice in January appear to show Andrew forwarded government reports from official visits and information on investment opportunities to the late financier and sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. Under official guidance, trade envoys have a duty of confidentiality over sensitive information.
- Andrew served as the UK's trade envoy from 2001 to 2011.
- Released files suggest he forwarded reports from visits to Vietnam, Singapore, and China to Epstein.
- He also appears to have sent information on gold and uranium investment opportunities in Afghanistan.
King Charles says law must take its course
King Charles III said he learned of his brother's arrest with the "deepest concern." In a statement, the King said, "the law must take its course" and offered his "full and wholehearted support" to the police investigation.
The BBC understands that neither the King nor Buckingham Palace were given advance warning of the arrest, which occurred on Andrew's 66th birthday. The Prince and Princess of Wales are said to support the King's statement.
The royals maintained a "business as usual" approach to engagements. Both the King and Queen Camilla did not respond to reporters' questions about the arrest throughout the day.
Police searches and separate allegations
Thames Valley Police said that following a "thorough assessment," a formal investigation has now been opened. The force arrested Andrew at Sandringham at 08:00 GMT and later searched his former home, Royal Lodge in Windsor Great Park.
Norfolk Constabulary said it was "supporting" the Thames Valley investigation. Police have warned the public to avoid commentary that could be in contempt of court as the case is active.
In a separate matter, Thames Valley Police said in February it was assessing an allegation that a second woman was sent to the UK by Epstein for a sexual encounter with Andrew in 2010. Andrew has consistently and strenuously denied any wrongdoing regarding his association with Epstein.
Reactions from Epstein case figures
Former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown told the BBC he has submitted new information from the Epstein files to several UK police forces. In a statement, Brown said he wanted to "secure justice for trafficked girls and women."
Sky Roberts, the brother of the late Virginia Giuffre, said he believes his sister had been "vindicated" by news of the arrest. Giuffre had previously alleged she was made to have sex with Andrew, claims which were settled out of court in 2022 with no admission of wrongdoing from Andrew.
"We wouldn't be here without her," Roberts told BBC Newsnight, calling the arrest a "win for survivors." He also commended the King for his support of the police investigation.
Andrew stepped back from royal duties in 2019, lost his military titles and royal patronages in 2022, and was stripped of his princely title in October 2025.
Related Articles

CBS News keeps contributor Peter Attia despite Epstein ties
CBS keeps Peter Attia as contributor despite his ties to Jeffrey Epstein, revealed in released messages. Staff are reportedly frustrated by the decision.

Senate Democrats Threaten Probe Into Paramount's Warner Bros. Discovery Bid
Democratic senators threaten Paramount probe over Trump contacts regarding Warner Bros. Discovery merger.
Stay in the loop
Get the best AI-curated news delivered to your inbox. No spam, unsubscribe anytime.

